Brasília, June 9, 2016 – To mark the final two months leading up to the start of the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games and as part of U.S. Mission Brazil’s #USinRio campaign to prepare U.S. citizens for travel to Rio de Janeiro, we are pleased to present a welcome message from Ambassador Liliana Ayalde with useful tips and important information for American citizens traveling to Brazil during the Games. We invite you to view the message and share it widely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-O_RDaWac&feature=youtu.be.
“I’m thrilled to be in Brazil as it hosts the Olympics and Paralympics…I know Brazilians will greet U-S citizens with open arms just as they did during the World Cup in 2014…Our team at the U.S. Embassy and its Consulates look forward to your visit…We have many ways to help you.” —Ambassador Ayalde
In addition to the Ambassador’s welcome video, we also invite you to watch our video explaining Brazil’s temporary waiver of tourist visas for Americans and other nationalities traveling in the lead up to and during the Games: https://youtu.be/jckG8mZ3A30.
In the coming days, we will release another four videos with tips on keeping healthy and safe, on getting around Rio, and specific tips related to the Games. We invite everyone to join #USinRio via our many social media platforms to cheer on Team USA and Brazil as it hosts the first ever Olympic and Paralympic Games in South America!
#USinRio campaign: On April 26, 101 days before the start of the Games, Ambassador Ayalde launched the #USinRio campaign that includes the following tools aimed at helping Americans have a safe and enjoyable visit to Brazil.
#USinRio Informational Materials and Products
- A Brochure for American Citizens traveling to the Games: https://br.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2016/06/ACS-Brochure-Olympics_updated-May-2016.pdf
- A webpage dedicated entirely to information about the services the U.S. Mission to Brazil can provide American citizens during the Games: https://br.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/olympics-2016-u-s-citizen-services/
- Our special #USinRio blog that provides informational materials as well as inspirational videos featuring U.S. athletes: www.usmissionbrazil.org/usinrio
- Our free #USinRio smartphone app: currently, available via Google Play – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.goodbarber.usinrio
- Our YouTube channel with a playlist of our video series with tips for Americans traveling to Brazil for the Games: https://www.youtube.com/user/EmbaixadaEUA
Prior to traveling to Brazil, U.S. citizens should visit the U.S. Department of State’s Olympic and Paralympic Fact Sheet at https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/Olympics.html , a one-stop shop for essential travel information, including links to resources such as the latest health-related recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for Americans traveling to Brazil, including precautions related to the Zika virus. We also encourage U.S. citizens to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive important safety and security announcements from the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil: https://step.state.gov/step/.