Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Brasilia, Brazil (June 21, 2020)
Event: Extension of Brazil’s Border Closures
On June 20, Brazil extended the decree that foreigners are banned from entering the country by air, land, and sea for 15 days (through July 5). This is an extension of previous border closures. Those in the following categories are exempt:
- Brazilian citizens, born or naturalized
- Permanent residents of Brazil
- National Immigration Registry Card Holders (Registro Nacional Migratório – RNM)
- Foreign professionals employed by a non-governmental aid organization recognized by the Brazilian government
- Foreign officials accredited by the Brazilian government
- Spouse, domestic partner, son or daughter, father or mother, or caregiver of a Brazilian citizen
- Any person whose entrance into Brazil is deemed by the government to be in the public interest.
- Travelers in transit in one of the following categories:
- Cargo delivery
- International passengers making a connection who do not leave the international transit area
- Passengers required to disembark for aircraft refueling or repairs
- Flight crews
The announcement does not prevent individuals from departing on commercial flights. Commercial flights between the United States and Brazil continue to run on a regular basis. Flights are limited and subject to change. Please contact airlines directly for the most current schedule information.
We continue to encourage U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States to make commercial flight arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not currently anticipate arranging repatriation flights from Brazil.
Actions to Take:
- Review the June 20 Brazilian government announcement (in Portuguese) on its website.
- Reach out to the nearest Brazilian Embassy, Consulate General, or Consulate with questions regarding the Brazilian travel ban.
- Contact your airline with flight questions: United Airlines, LATAM, and Azul.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and Messages from the U.S. Embassy.