Vacancy Announcement Number: 2016/34
Open to: All Interested Candidates / All Sources
The “Open To” category listed above refers to candidates who are eligible to apply for this position. The “Open To” category should not be confused with a “hiring preference” which is explained later in this vacancy announcement.
Position: Civil Engineer, FSN-10; FP-5 (steps 5 through 14), A63OBO
Opening Date: Tuesday, December 6, 2016
Closing Date: Tuesday, December 20, 2016
Work Hours: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Work Location: U.S. Consulate General Recife new site located in Paiva
Salary: Ordinarily Resident (OR): FSN-10 – R$ 125,455.00 per year
Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR): FP-5* (steps 5 through 14) – US$ 58,032.00 per year
*Final grade/step for NORs will be determined by Washington.
Start Date: The estimated start date for this position is March 2017.
Length of Employment: This is a temporary position not to exceed 2 years.
All ordinarily resident (OR) applicants (See Appendix A for definition) must have the required work and/or residency permits to be eligible for consideration.
The U.S. Mission in Recife, Brazil is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Civil Engineer in the OBO (Overseas Buildings Operations) Office.
Basic Function of Position
The Civil Engineer will inspect construction; review plans; recommend approval of shop drawings and submittals; maintain a daily log of construction activities; develop change orders including preparing cost estimates; and other construction engineering duties related to the new Recife US Consulate construction project as directed by the OBO Project Director.
Note: Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Applicants are required to submit their applications in English using the DS-174 form. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering (B. S. CE) from an accredited institution and a local valid certification as an engineer by a local certified engineering institution such as CREA (Regional Council of Engineering, Architecture and Agronomy) or a similar professionally recognized association are required.
- Experience: Experience in the field of civil engineering, related to building construction or renovations is required. Prior experience with U.S. or International Building codes and criteria, or with the Department of State facilities management or construction is required.
- Language (This will be tested):
- Level 3 (Good Working Knowledge) in Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
- Level 3 (Good Working Knowledge) in Speaking/Reading/Writing of Portuguese is required.
- Job Knowledge:
- Professional knowledge in civil design calculations and criteria, preparation of engineering drawings and specification is required.
- Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to forecast resource needs in terms of scheduling people and in monitoring contractor progress is required.
For further information:
The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office – Vanessa Dobbin or Manuela Oshiro at (81) 3416-3126.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
* Important: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria:
- Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the following: local security certification.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees of the Mission may only apply for positions at or above their current grade level.
How to Apply:
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered:
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above); Plus
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Where to Apply:
Human Resources Office: Vanessa Vieira Dobbin
Submit with vacancy title: Civil Engineer
E-mail Address: email@example.com