School leaders play a very important role in English teaching! First of all, they must understand that English is not simply a discipline, but a form of communication. The perspective that English is like any other discipline is detrimental to language development.
The leader can develop good systems at school to facilitate English learning:
- Schedule: … at the beginning of the class period, not when there are too many cancellations for assemblies, rehearsals, etc., and if possible … with classes taking place at the same time in several grades.
- Policies: It is important to use English as much as possible during the English classes, but we do not want punishments for the use of Portuguese.
School culture: Value and promote multiculturalism and multilingualism.
- Collaboration: English teachers need opportunities to collaborate with other teachers. Motivation should increase when the topics in the English class fit with what is being studied in other subjects.
- Extra-curricular activities: Can provide opportunities for students to use English. Possibilities: Film club, newspaper, cooking class.
- Interaction with parents: Need to be educated about language acquisition, advantages of being bilingual, the importance of valuing language learning as well as supporting children.
- Each semester
- Aimed at teacher training with strategies for students to use English for authentic communication. Examples:
- Specific methodology for different proficiency levels.
- Development of materials that promote real communication.
- Training in new communicative approaches.
The role of the teacher in the school
- Participate in communities of practice (or learning communities) along with other teachers.
- Lead the creation of a multilingual and multicultural environment at school.
- Have an active voice in meetings related to the organization of the schedule and curriculum.
The leader’s influence to improve English teaching
- More hours of English.
- Fewer students in class.
- Consistency between instruction and evaluation.
- Appropriate resources for more communicative language classes.
- An ambient room for English.