Overseas employees will demonstrate the following characteristics essential for being a successful member of the United States Embassy, Consulate, or Mission team:
- Composure and Integrity. To stay calm, poised, and effective in stressful or difficult situations; to be fair and honest.
- Cultural Adaptability. To work and communicate effectively and respectfully with others who are different (i.e. different gender, race, culture, sexual orientation, or religion); to recognize and respect differences.
- Change and Initiative. To accept change in the workplace; to accept work assignments and persist in their completion to a high standard.
- Experience and Motivation. To demonstrate knowledge and skills gained from previous experience; to express motivation for joining the United States Embassy, Consulate, or Mission.
- Information Integration and Resourcefulness. To absorb local and United States Government rules and regulation and apply them to work situations; to resolve problems using available resources and within the rules/regulations provided.
- Tactfulness. To speak and write respectfully as a representative of the United States Embassy, Consulate, or Mission.
- Planning and Organizing. To prioritize and order tasks effectively to maximize efficiency.
- Working With Others. To interact in a cooperative and harmonious way; to work effectively as a team player; to establish positive relationships.
*Based on the 13 Dimensions – Foreign Service Officer Qualifications; adapted for Overseas Employees.