Brazil has confirmed cases of COVID-19 in all 26 states and the Federal District, and the largest number of confirmed cases in South and Central America. Brazil has implemented a ban on all foreigners entering Brazil by air, with limited exceptions for those that fall into one of the categories here, and has closed its land borders.
As of April 9, U.S. bound flights from Brazil decreased to 11 per week. The current flights depart from Sao Paulo (GRU) or Campinas (VCP) and are operated by the following airlines: United Airlines (the only airline with a daily flight), LATAM, and Azul. These flights are subject to change and will likely continue to decrease over the next few weeks. Although the major airport in each state currently provides flights to Sao Paulo, nonstop/direct flights between Brazilian cities are extremely limited.
Actions to Take:
- Dial 192 for emergency services in Brazil if you have severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Brazil.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease. For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Have a plan to depart from Brazil that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
United States Embassy and Consulates General in Brazil:
U.S. Embassy Brasilia
SES – Av. das Nações, Quadra 801, Lote 03
Brasília, DF – 70403-900
Phone: (61) 3312-7000
After-Hours Emergencies: (61) 3312-7400
Embassy Branch Office in Belo Horizonte
Avenida do Contorno, 4520 / 2nd floor – Funcionários
Belo Horizonte, MG – 30110-028
Telephone: +55 (31) 3338-4000
U.S. Consulate General Recife
Rua Goncalves Maia, 163 Bairro Boa Vista
Recife, PE – 50.070-060
Phone: (81) 3416-3050
After-Hours Emergencies: (81) 99916-9470
U.S. Consulate General Rio de Janeiro
Av. Presidente Wilson, 147 Castelo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ — 20030-020
Entrance at Rua Santa Luzia
Phone: (21) 3823-2000
After-Hours Emergencies: (21) 3823-2029
U.S. Consulate General São Paulo
Rua Henri Dunant, 500,
Chácara Santo Antonio,
São Paulo, SP — 04709-110
Phone: (11) 3250-5000
After-Hours Emergencies: (11) 3250-5373
U.S. Consulate General Porto Alegre
Avenida Assis Brasil, 1889 Passo d’Areia
Porto Alegre, RS – 91350-110
After-Hours Emergencies: 51-3345-6000
For further information:
Note: The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington, D.C. time, which may differ from local time.