Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Brasilia, Brazil (April 29, 2020)
Event: Extension of Air Border Closure and Commercial Flight Update
On April 28, Brazil extended the current ban on foreigners entering the country by air for an additional 30 days (through May 28). Those in the following categories are exempt:
- Brazilian citizens, born or naturalized
- Permanent residents of Brazil
- Foreign professionals employed by a non-governmental aid organization recognized by the Brazilian government
- Foreign officials accredited by the Brazilian government
- Spouse, domestic partner, son or daughter, father or mother, or caregiver of a Brazilian citizen
- Any person whose entrance into Brazil is deemed by the government to be in the public interest
- Travelers in transit in one of the following categories:
- Cargo delivery
- International passengers making a connection who do not leave the international transit area
- Passengers required to disembark for aircraft refueling or repairs
- Flight crews
The announcement does not prevent individuals from departing on commercial flights. At this time, nine U.S. bound commercial flights departing Brazil continue to operate per week. Flights include daily service on United Airlines from Sao Paulo (GRU) to Houston and flights on Azul from Campinas once per week to Fort Lauderdale and once per week to Orlando. These flights have been stable for more than two weeks but are subject to change. Please contact your airline with questions regarding your flight reservation.
U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial flight arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not currently anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Brazil.
Actions to Take:
Review the April 28 Brazilian government announcement (in Portuguese)
Reach out to the nearest Brazilian Embassy, Consulate General, or Consulate with questions regarding the Brazilian travel ban.
For questions about the airline’s pet policies, please visit the following links: