Vacancy Announcement Number: 2016/27
Open to: U.S. Citizens ONLY/ All Sources
The “Open To” category listed above refers to candidates who are eligible to apply for this position. The “Open To” category should not be confused with a “hiring preference” which is explained later in this vacancy announcement.
Position: Human Resources Assistant, FP-7, A54-305-037
Opening Date: Monday, August 15, 2016
Closing Date: Open until filled
Work Hours: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Salary: Ordinarily Resident (OR): FSN-7* – R$ 58.239,00 per year
Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR): FP-7* – US$ 41,206.00 per year
*Final grade/step for NORs will be determined by Washington.
The U.S. Mission in Brazil is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Human Resources Assistant in the Human Resources Office.
Basic Function of Position
Incumbent manages specific areas of the Consulate’s U.S. Direct Hire Staff and Family Member Human Resources Programs. The functions performed include, but are not limited to: USDH position management and reporting; USDH arrival/departure program and accreditation; USDH travel, allowances and benefits administration; USEFM and Seasonal Employment programs; among other Human Resources activities.
Note: Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Applicants are required to submit their applications in English using the DS-174 form. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Education: 2 years of college studies is required.
- Experience: A minimum of five years of progressively responsible work experience in management or Human Resources is required.
- Language (This will be tested):
- Level 4 (Fluent) in Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
- Job Knowledge (This will be tested):
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office Package (Word, Excel and Outlook), Sharepoint, and the Internet is required.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal skills necessary to write and explain complex issues and draft comprehensive written policies, reports and recommendations on both general matters as well as controversial HR related problems and issues.
For further information:
The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office – Charles Roe at (21) 3823-2633.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
* Important: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria:
- Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the following: Top Secret.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
How to Apply:
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered:
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above); Plus
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Where to Apply:
Human Resources Office: Charles Roe
Submit with vacancy title: Human Resources Assistant
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Closing date for this position: open until filled
Equal Employment Opportunity: The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.