United States Embassy Brasilia, Brazil
Message for U.S. Citizens: National Voter Registration Day September 24th
The U.S. Embassy would like to inform all U.S. citizens that September 24th is National Voter Registration Day! Please use this link to register to vote in your state: https://www.fvap.gov/
If you need any assistance please contact a Voting Assistance Officer in your area at the following email addresses:
Brasilia – VoteBrasilia@state.gov
Porto Alegre – VotePortoAlegre@state.gov
Rio de Janeiro – VoteRiodeJaneiro@state.gov
Recife – VoteRecife@state.gov
Sao Paulo – VoteSaoPaulo@state.gov
About Absentee Voting
Voting is one of our most fundamental rights as U.S. citizens. The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) works to ensure Service members, their eligible family members and overseas citizens are aware of their right to vote and have the tools and resources to successfully do so – from anywhere in the world.
Elections are managed individually by the 50 states, U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and the District of Columbia. This means there are 55 different sets of rules for absentee voting by Service members, their eligible family members and overseas citizens, but the basic steps are simple:
- You register to vote and request an absentee ballot by filling out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), and sending it to your election office in your State of legal residence.
- The election office approves the FPCA, disapproves the FPCA or requests additional information.
- Once the FPCA is approved, the election office sends an absentee ballot to you.
- You then complete and return your voted absentee ballot to your election office by your State’s deadline.
To vote absentee, uniformed and overseas United States citizens should:
- Allow plenty of time to request, receive, and return their ballot.
- Notify their election office each time their mailing address changes.
- Become familiar with their state’s absentee voting deadlines and procedures to make sure their ballot is properly executed and will be counted.
- Complete a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) early if unsure of the time required to return the ballot to meet the state’s deadline.
For More Information:
Travel Alerts, and Brazil Country Specific Information.
-Contact U.S. Embassy Brasilia located at SES – Av. das Nações, Quadra 801, Lote 03, 70403-900 – Brasília, DF, at +55 (61) 3312-7000 Monday through Friday during business hours. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +55 (61) 3312-7400. Email: BrasiliaACS@state.gov
-Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).