United States Embassy Brasilia, Brazil
Message for U.S. Citizens: Representatives of Federal Benefits Unit Visiting
Brasilia and Belo Horizonte, on March, 2019
The U.S. Embassy in Brasilia is pleased to announce that representatives from the Social Security Administration’s Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Lisbon will be visiting Belo Horizonte on March 20 and Brasilia on March 29, 2019. They will meet with interested parties to discuss the implications of the new Social Security Totalization Agreement between the United States and Brazil, which may allow workers who accrued social security credits in both countries to combine their credits when applying for benefits. In some cases, family members may also be eligible for benefits. The representatives are also available to assist individuals with other Social Security and Federal Benefits services. For information about their services, documentation requirements etc., please visit their website at https://pt.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/. FBU representatives will be available to conduct individual consultation sessions, but only for those who schedule appointments in advance.
To schedule an appointment with the FBU Lisbon representatives on these dates only, please send an email to BrasiliaACS@state.gov with “FBU – and the city where the visit will occur (Brasilia or Belo Horizonte)” in the subject line, or call (61) 3312-7294.
Please RSVP by March 15th for Belo Horizonte visit and by March 26th for Brasilia and include in your email:
- The full name of all persons seeking services;
- Your telephone number with area code.
Example Subject Line: FBU – Belo Horizonte
Those who make an appointment in advance will receive the exact location in each city via reply email.
American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy – Brasilia
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Brazil Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Brazil located at SES – Av. das Nações, Quadra 801, Lote 03, 70403-900 – Brasília, DF, at +55 (61) 3312-7000 Monday through Friday during business hours. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +55 (61) 3312-7400. Email: BrasiliaACS@state.gov
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).