The U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro informs U.S. citizens that local airport authorities advise passengers departing on Monday, August 22, 2016 from the Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport (airport code GIG), also known as Galeão, to arrive six hours before international flights and two hours before domestic flights. With the end of the Summer Olympic Games, they anticipate double the amount of normal passengers and airport authorities expect Monday to be the busiest travel day in the airport’s history.
The city of Rio de Janeiro has declared Monday, August 22 a local holiday to help ease traffic congestion as tens of thousands of Olympics visitors depart the city. It is advised to build additional time into your schedule to account for traffic on route to the airport. U.S. citizens should ensure they have their passport and other important documents with them before departing for the airport.
If you need consular assistance, including in the event of a lost or stolen passport, email email@example.com and include your full name and phone number. The U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro will be open for emergency services on Monday, August 22. The Consulate hotline during regular business hours (8 a.m. through 5 p.m.) is: +55 (21) 3823-2097. The after-hours Consulate hotline is: +55 (21) 3823-2029. To call from the United States, dial 011-55-21-3823-2097 or 011-55-21-3823-2029. If you are in Rio de Janeiro, dial 3823-2097 or 3823-2029.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Brazil Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook and download our free app USinRioUSinRio in App Store or Google Play.
- To dial from the U.S., begin with 011-55 and then enter the numbers above. For calls from Rio de Janeiro, begin dialling after the country and city codes (+55 21).
- The U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro is located at Av. Presidente Wilson, 147 Castelo, and can be reached at +55 (21) 3823-2000 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For after-hours emergencies involving American citizens, call +55 (21) 3823-2029.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).