The United States Embassy in Brasilia informs U.S. citizens that effective October 1, 2016, passport applicants must provide a Social Security number (SSN) on their application, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
If you have never been issued a Social Security number, you must submit a signed statement including the phrase, “I swear under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
- Information on applying for or renewing your passport can be found here.
- Information on applying for a new Social Security number or a replacement Social Security card can be found here.
For assistance, please contact your local Embassy or Consulate:
U.S. Embassy Brasilia
SES – Av. das Nações, Quadra 801, Lote 03
70403-900 – Brasília, DF
Phone: (61) 3312-7000
After-Hours Emergencies: (61) 3312-7400
U.S. Consulate General Recife
Rua Goncalves Maia, 163
Bairro Boa Vista Recife, PE – 50.070-060
Phone: (81) 3416-3050
After-Hours Emergencies: (81) 99916-9470 or (81) 3416-3060
U.S. Consulate General Rio de Janeiro
Av. Presidente Wilson, 147 Castelo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ — 20030-020
Entrance at Rua Santa Luzia
Phone: (21) 3823-2000
After-Hours Emergencies: (21) 3823-2029
U.S. Consulate General São Paulo
Rua Henri Dunant, 500,
Chácara Santo Antonio,
São Paulo, SP — 04709-110
Phone: (11) 3250-5000
After-Hours Emergencies: (11) 3250-5373
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Brazil Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Note: The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington, D.C. time, which may differ from local time.