CALL FOR APPLICATIONS – 2022
PROGRAM FOR BRAZILIAN CITIZENS
ONLINE PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH NETWORK (OPEN) PROGRAM – 8-WEEK COURSES
The Online Professional English Network (OPEN) program offers virtual learning opportunities to foreign English language educators, professionals and learners worldwide. OPEN promotes mutual exchange of culture and provides free access to teaching and learning materials which can be reused, adapted and shared with others. OPEN professional development opportunities are developed by U.S. academic institutions and experts in the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
The Regional English Language Office (RELO) in Brazil will offer 35 scholarships for the “Using Educational Technology in the English Language Classroom” course by Iowa State University and 35 scholarships for the “Integrating Critical Thinking Skills into the Exploration of Culture in an EFL Setting” course by World Learning. See item 5 of this document for further description of the courses.
Eligible candidates must:
- have a bachelor’s degree in English Language Teaching or be enrolled in a higher education course of English Teaching (Licenciatura em Letras – Inglês)
- meet the English language requirements indicated below.
- be a Brazilian citizen living in Brazil during the course
- have a minimum proficiency level of B2 According to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Candidates are expected to work at least 8-10 hours per week to devote to asynchronous coursework.
- Candidates must have access to a working computer and internet (You will not be able to access the course through the Canvas App)
- SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Candidates must carefully read the application Instructions and submit the online application form available at: https://forms.gle/uPnJnjthoLS949jB7, including all the following mandatory supporting documents:
- One Personal Statement (300 to 800 words) answering the following: “Please explain your interest in participating in the course. What impact do you think your participation will have on your institution, and/or region? How do you expect to use and share the knowledge acquired in this course (be specific/give us practical examples)?”
- Proof of completion of one Massive Open Online Courses (Digital Badge received at the end of the course),
- SELECTION PROCESS
The RELO Brazil office will screen all applications for eligibility. Priority will be given to qualified individuals who are public school educators and/or from underrepresented regions of Brazil and for individuals who have not received a scholarship for a similar course from the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil in the recent past;
NOTE: Plagiarism will result in disqualification from participating in the program.
- January 21st at 11:59p.m. (BSB time) 2022: deadline for online application submission;
- January 31st, 2022: results of the selection process;
- March 7th, 2022: orientation course begins;
- April 1st, 2022: orientation course ends;
- April 12th, 2022: course begins;
- June 7th, 2022: course ends.
- COURSES OFFERED
Integrating Critical Thinking Skills into the Exploration of Culture in an EFL Setting
This course is delivered by World Learning- SIT Graduate Institute
Exploration of culture in an EFL setting requires helping students engage in authentic situations to develop the ability to navigate across a variety of cultures. This intercultural ability requires language choices and awareness of oneself as a cultural being. It also requires critical thinking skills, which are themselves culturally defined. Using experiential learning as the organizational model, this course will engage participants in analyzing personal experiences, media, EFL textbooks, and classrooms to develop the capacity to think critically about the cultural assumptions and viewpoints embedded in their teaching content and process. After examining themselves as cultural beings and assessing learners’ needs and goals, participants will develop a concrete teaching lesson that reflects their view of teaching critical thinking and intercultural competence in their particular context.
Using Educational Technology in the English Language Classroom
This course is delivered by Iowa State University
This course is designed to help English language teaching professionals around the world acquire and maintain basic knowledge and skills in technology for professional purposes through hands-on learning. It will help teachers integrate pedagogical knowledge and skills with technology to enhance their language teaching and learning through their reading, discussion, and creation of new learning activities. The course will help participants apply technology in record keeping, feedback, and assessment, and use technology to improve communication, collaboration, and efficiency by participating in online discussion and presentation.
- APPLICATION FORM
Link for the application form: https://forms.gle/uPnJnjthoLS949jB7