U.S. citizens in Brazil should be alert to the widespread use of sedatives to drug and rob individuals. While victims continue to be randomly targeted in bars and nightclubs, foreigners are also targeted through online dating applications. Some of these incidents have resulted in death or serious medical emergencies as a result of an overdose or side effects from the drugs used to incapacitate the victims.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid going to bars or nightclubs alone and avoid leaving with strangers.
- Do not accept food or drinks from strangers.
- If using dating applications in Brazil, before you go on a date, let someone know whom you are meeting, where you are going, and the details of the dating application account you are communicating with. Victims who are targeted on dating applications tend to have their electronic devices stolen, which often contain all evidence of communication with the assailants.
- Be wary about inviting individuals to your residence. If inviting a new acquaintance to your residence, speak to your door attendant in advance and be clear as to what information your new visitor should provide prior to entry (photo identification, etc.).
- Trust your instincts – if something does not feel right or if you suddenly feel ill, walk away from a situation.
- If you fall victim, report immediately to local police. If able, seek medical attention immediately. Then contact us at the numbers listed below.
U.S. Embassy Brasilia
SES – Av. das Nações, Quadra 801, Lote 03
Phone: (61) 3312-7000
After-Hours Emergencies: (61) 3312-7400
U.S. Consulate General Recife
Rua Goncalves Maia, 163 – Bairro Boa Vista
Phone: (81) 3416-3050
After-Hours Emergencies: (81) 99916-9470 or (81) 3416-3060
U.S. Consulate General Rio de Janeiro
Av. Presidente Wilson, 147 – Castelo
20030-020, Rio de Janeiro-RJ (Entrance at Rua Santa Luzia)
Phone: (21) 3823-2000
After-Hours Emergencies: (21) 3823-2029
U.S. Consulate General São Paulo
Rua Henri Dunant, 500 – Chácara Santo Antonio
04709-110, São Paulo-SP
Phone: (11) 3250-5000
After-Hours Emergencies: (11) 3250-5373
U.S. Consulate General Porto Alegre
Av. Assis Brasil, 1889 - Passo d’Areia
91010-005, Porto Alegre-RS
Phone: (51) 3345-6000
After-Hours Emergencies: (51) 98293-0446