Location: Major cities in Brazil
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place in major cities across Brazil on Tuesday, September 7. The U.S. Embassy in Brazil cautions U.S. citizens to avoid areas around protests and demonstrations, as even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational. We encourage you to check local media for updates and traffic advisories.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Visit our Embassy webpage for information on conditions in Brazil and the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General closest to you.
For further information:
- U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Brazil Country Specific Information