October 15, 2020
Event: Several state authorities across Brazil have announced the dates of their annual prisoner visitation release known as “Saidão” (the big exit), during which some prisoners will be temporarily released during this period to visit family for the holidays. Brazilian authorities caution that crimes such as theft, assault and home burglaries may increase this time of year. We encourage all U.S. citizens in Brazil to exercise security precautions and situational awareness at all times. In the Federal District, the announced dates of the 2020 Saidão are:
- October 30th to November 3rd
- November 17th to November 24th
- December 21st to December 28th
While these dates will vary from state to state, prisoner release schedules throughout the country are expected to follow the same general timeframe.
Actions to Take:
- Know how to contact the local authorities.
- Employ ongoing personal security measures and be aware of your surroundings to minimize the risk of street theft and assault.
- Exercise caution when responding to inquiries from unknown sources.
- See the State Department’s Level 4 Travel Advisory for Brazil
- Follow the U.S. Mission to Brazil on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and Messages from the U.S. Embassy.