Event: The Brazilian truckers’ association strike is disrupting normal fuel and goods distribution throughout Brazil. Cities in the interior of Brazil located further from refining and food distribution centers are likely to be more impacted than others. The Brazilian government is engaged in meetings to resolve the strike. Once resolved, it could take time for supplies to return to normal levels—especially in cities located further from fuel and food distribution centers.
Actions to Take:
• Ensure you have adequate fuel in your vehicle.
• Review the following website to verify road conditions prior to starting travel: http://g1.globo.com/tecnologia/noticia/2013/02/radar-g1-mostra-transito-ao-vivo-no-computador-no-tablet-e-no-celular.html
• Consider taking steps to ensure adequate stock of household goods and water and conserve vehicle fuel during this time.
• Evaluate overland travel outside of city limits, due to the particular possibility of fuel shortages there, until the strike is resolved.
• Contact airlines to confirm your flight prior to going to the airport.
• Review your personal security plans.
• Monitor local media for updates.
U.S. Embassy Brasilia
SES – Av. das Nações, Quadra 801, Lote 03
70403-900 – Brasília, DF
Phone: (61) 3312-7000
After-Hours Emergencies: (61) 3312-7400
U.S. Consulate General Recife
Rua Goncalves Maia, 163
Bairro Boa Vista Recife, PE – 50.070-060
Phone: (81) 3416-3050
After-Hours Emergencies: (81) 99916-9470 or (81) 3416-3060
U.S. Consulate General Rio de Janeiro
Av. Presidente Wilson, 147 Castelo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ — 20030-020
Entrance at Rua Santa Luzia
Phone: (21) 3823-2000
After-Hours Emergencies: (21) 3823-2029
U.S. Consulate General São Paulo
Rua Henri Dunant, 500,
Chácara Santo Antonio,
São Paulo, SP — 04709-110
Phone: (11) 3250-5000
After-Hours Emergencies: (11) 3250-5373
U.S. Consulate Porto Alegre
Av. Assis Brasil, 1889
Porto Alegre, RS— 91010-005
55-51-98293-0446 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates