U.S. Consulate General Sao Paulo, Brazil
Vacancy Announcement Number: 2016/39
Open to: All Interested Candidates / All Sources
The “Open To” category listed above refers to candidates who are eligible to apply for this position. The “Open To” category should not be confused with a “hiring preference” which is explained later in this vacancy announcement.
Position: Security Investigator, FSN-10/FP-5, A56-705-126 – Full Performance
Opening Date: Thursday, November 17, 2016
Closing Date: Thursday, December 01, 2016
Work Hours: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Salary: Ordinarily Resident (OR): FSN-10* – R$ 125,455.00
Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR): FP-5* – US$ 58,032.00
*Final grade/step for NORs will be determined by Washington.
* This position is being advertised simultaneously with the Trainee Level, FSN-9, FP-5. Applicants applying for VA 2016/39 and VA 2016/39B(T) will be considered for both processes. Therefore, applicants need only apply for one of these two vacancy announcements to be considered.
All ordinarily resident (OR) applicants (See Appendix A for definition) must have the required work and/or residency permits to be eligible for consideration.
The U.S. Consulate General in Sao Paulo is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Security Investigator in the Regional Security Office.
Basic Function of Position
The incumbent provides full investigative support to the Regional Security Office/Consular initiative for criminal investigations related to document and visa fraud. Is responsible for conducting highly complex investigations of passport fraud, visa fraud, alien smuggling, human trafficking, criminal enterprises, terrorist networks and other criminal actions that impact the national security of the United States.
Note: Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Applicants are required to submit their applications in English using the DS-174 form. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Education: University degree in law, business administration, law enforcement, security or criminal justice is required.
- Experience: Work experience in any of the following areas is required:
- a) Work experience within the Government of Brazil in security, investigative, police or criminal services;
- b) Work experience with the Brazilian system of government in the field (s) of criminal justice, criminal investigations or the federal courts with emphasis on technical, analytical or procedural investigations or applied operations commensurate with criminal prosecution programs with a concept of needs focused on identification, interception or interruption of organized criminal operations.
- Language (This will be tested):
- Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
- Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing of Portuguese is required.
- Job Knowledge (This will be tested):
- A good working knowledge of documentary sources of information and familiarity with pertinent local laws as invasion of privacy, marriage, divorce, etc.
- Knowledge about criminal activities and modus operandi of criminal organizations in Brazil.
- Skills and Abilities (This will be tested):
- Ability to work with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is required.
- Must possess a local driver’s license category B and no criminal history in any jurisdiction.
For further information:
The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office – Eliana Branco at (11) 3250-5116.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
* Important: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria:
- Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the following: Local Security Certification.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees of the Mission may only apply for positions at or above their current grade level.
How to Apply:
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered:
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above); Plus
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Where to Apply:
Human Resources Office: Eliana Branco
Submit with vacancy title: Security Investigator
E-mail Address: email@example.com