U.S. Consulate General Sao Paulo, Brazil
Vacancy Announcement Number: 2017/09
Open to: All Interested Candidates / All Sources
The “Open To” category listed above refers to candidates who are eligible to apply for this position. The “Open To” category should not be confused with a “hiring preference” which is explained later in this vacancy announcement.
Position: Supervisory American Citizen Services Assistant, FSN-9/FP-5, A32-1420-021 – Full Performance
Opening Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Closing Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Work Hours: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Salary: Ordinarily Resident (OR): FSN-9* – R$ 103,414.00
Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR): FP-8* – US$52,765.00
*Final grade/step for NORs will be determined by Washington.
This position is being advertised simultaneously with the Trainee Level, FSN-8, FP-6.
Applicants applying for VA 2017/09 and VA 2017/09T will be considered for both processes. Therefore, applicants need only apply for one of these two vacancy announcements to be considered.
All ordinarily resident (OR) applicants (See Appendix A for definition) must have the required work and/or residency permits to be eligible for consideration.
The U.S. Mission in Sao Paulo, Brazil is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Supervisory American Citizen Services (ACS) Assistant in the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit.
Basic Function of Position
Incumbent provides emergency and special citizen services to protect the safety and well-being of American citizens in particularly complex cases and provides guidance to team members on ACS cases. Analyses and resolves multiple complex cases at a time. Develops and maintains contacts with outside officials to facilitate service to Americans in need. Manages the ACS appointment schedule and resolves technical issues. Supervises five ACS Assistants.
Note: Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Applicants are required to submit their applications (DS-174 form) in English. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Education and Experience:
Bachelor degree in Business Administration, International Relations, Social Work, Public Administration, Communications, or Law and experience involving the application of complex regulatory material is required. Supervisory experience is required; or
A minimum of two years of general college studies is required and of progressively more responsible experience involving the application of complex regulatory material is required.
Supervisory experience is required.
- Language (This will be tested):
- Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
- Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing of Portuguese is required.
- Job Knowledge:
- Knowledge of local Brazilian laws, regulations, and practices that relate to foreigners.
- Identifies appropriate contacts to advance unit objectives.
- Skills and Abilities (This will be tested):
- Ability to deal with the public, often under difficult and sensitive circumstances.
- Ability to provide guidance to team members and to the ACS on the assignments of tasks, personnel issues, and internal procedures.
For further information:
The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office – Eliana Branco at (11) 3250-5116.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
* Important: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria:
- Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the following: Public trust Clearance.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees of the Mission may only apply for positions at or above their current grade level.
How to Apply:
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered:
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above); Plus
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Where to Apply:
Human Resources Office: Eliana Branco
Submit with vacancy title: Supervisory ACS Assistant
E-mail Address: email@example.com