Social Media Statement of Privacy and Waiver of Responsibility
Data Usage Policy:
For security reasons and respect for citizens’ privacy, the U.S. Embassy will remove any publication that contains personal data that can identify users, as mentioned above, from its pages, whether in a private or public environment (wall posts, comments, private messages).
The U.S. Embassy, in turn, will use personal information about users, such as names and emails, if authorized by the users, in contests and special events managed by the Mission, in private.
The social media sites managed by the U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Brazil are produced and maintained by the Public Affairs Office of the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, Brazil. Links to other sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein.
The U.S. Embassy in Brasilia states:
- The opinions expressed in audio and video content not produced but posted by the U.S. Mission on its social media sites (for example, iTunes, YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, UStream) are not necessarily representative of the views or policies of the U.S. Government.
- It does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of the information contained on linked websites.
- It does not endorse the organizations responsible for linked websites, the views expressed by them or the products / services offered.
- It cannot and does not authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Users must request authorization from the sponsor of the linked website.
- It does not guarantee that outside websites comply with Section 508 (Accessibility Requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.
Social Media Policy:
We expect participants to treat each other with mutual respect. We will remove comments containing vulgar or abusive language; pornography; personal attacks of any kind; offensive terms aimed at specific ethnic or racial groups, or which incite violence. We remove comments that are spam, clearly off topic, or which promote services or products. Comments with unproven accusations will be taken off the discussion.
- Vulgar, offensive, threatening or hostile language is prohibited.
- The discussion forum is not open to comments that promote or attack anyone in an election campaign for political office, or to promote or attack any voting proposal.
- Our social media sites are not open to promotion or advertising of business or commercial transactions.
- This social media usage policy is subject to amendments or changes at any time to ensure that its continued use is compatible with their intended purpose.
User-Generated Content (UGC):
Users are alerted through this document that they are fully responsible for the content posted on any social media sites managed by the U.S. Mission in Brazil. Users are responsible for complying with all copyright and intellectual property laws associated with this content.
Contests / Promotions on Facebook:
- Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by Facebook or anyone associated with this medium.
- Declaration that participants are providing information to the U.S. Mission in Brazil, and not to Facebook.
- Officials from the State Department, including employees of the Foreign Service (FS), the Civil Service (CS), employees abroad, locally employed staff (LES), contractors who perform work under contract to the State Department, and family employees are not permitted to participate in prize draws or contests organized by the social media pages managed by the U.S. Mission in Brazil.
Information Quality Guidelines:
Every effort is made to provide accurate and complete information. However, we cannot guarantee that no errors will occur.
Users of social media websites managed by the U.S. Mission in Brazil may disclose information on their profiles that may be considered confidential. Such shall not be collected or used by the U.S. Embassy, except for statistical analysis of the site.
The U.S. Embassy has no access to information not expressly shared by users.
Please read Facebook’s Privacy Statement to know what information is collected or used by the Facebook platform https://www.new.facebook.com/policy.php?ref=pf.
Links to Other Sites:
The social media sites managed by the U.S. Mission in Brazil may contain links to other federal agencies, embassies, multilateral and private organizations. These websites are not within our control and may not follow the same privacy, security or accessibility policies. Once you visit such a website you are subject to the policies of that site.