Social Media Statement of Privacy and Waiver of Responsibility
Data Usage Policy
For security reasons and respect for citizens’ privacy, the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil will remove any publication that contains personal data that can identify users, as mentioned above, from their pages, whether in a private or public environment (comments, replies or private messages).
The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil, in turn, will use personal information about users, such as names and emails, if authorized by the users, in contests and special events managed by the Embassy or Consulates, in private.
Users should be reminded that we have no control over privacy polices of Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, and LinkedIn and we cannot guarantee the complete privacy of your data on this social network.
The social media networks managed by the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil are produced and maintained by the Public Affairs Office of the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, and of the U.S. Consulates in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Recife. Links to other sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein.
The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil state:
- The opinions expressed in audio and video content not produced but posted by the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil on its social media networks are not necessarily representative of the views or policies of the U.S. Government.
- We do not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of the information contained on third party linked websites.
- We do not endorse the organizations responsible for linked websites, the views expressed by them or the products / services offered.
- We cannot and do not authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Users must request authorization from the sponsor of the linked website.
- We do not guarantee that outside websites comply with Section 508 (Accessibility Requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.
Social Media Conduct
We expect participants to treat each other with mutual respect and cordiality. We will hide or remove comments containing vulgar or abusive language; pornography; personal attacks of any kind; offensive terms aimed at specific ethnic or racial groups, or which incite violence, including hate speech of any kind. We hide and/or remove comments that are spam, clearly off topic, or which promote services or products. Comments with unproven accusations will be taken off the discussion.
- Vulgar, offensive, threatening, or hostile language is prohibited.
- The discussion forum is not open to comments that could incite political violence or attacks on public or private figures or groups;
- Our social media sites are not open to promotion or advertising of business or commercial transactions.
- This social media usage policy is subject to amendments or changes at any time to ensure that its continued use is compatible with their intended purpose.
User-Generated Content (UGC)
Users are alerted through this document that they are fully responsible for the content posted on any social media sites managed by the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil. Users are responsible for complying with all copyright and intellectual property laws associated with this content.
Information Quality Guidelines
Every effort is made to provide accurate and complete information. However, we cannot guarantee that no errors will occur.
Users of social media networks managed by the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil may disclose information on their profiles that may be considered confidential. Such shall not be collected or used by the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil, except for statistical analysis of the site.
The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil have no access to information not expressly shared by users.
Please read Facebook’s Privacy Statement to know what information is collected or used by the Meta platform https://www.new.facebook.com/policy.php?ref=pf.
Links to Other Sites
The social media sites managed by the U.S. Mission in Brazil may contain links to other federal agencies, embassies, multilateral and private organizations. These websites are not within our control and may not follow the same privacy, security or accessibility policies. Once you visit such a website you are subject to the policies of that site.