First Time Applicants

Applicants need to apply in person. Please see specific information for Passports for Minor Children.

Required documents:

  • Application form: Complete DS-11 online and print.
  • If you experience trouble with the Passport Application Wizard, click Form DS-11 (PDF 90KB).
  • Copies of all original documents along with the originals that prove U.S. citizenship (passport, ID card, birth certificate or report of birth abroad, or naturalization certificate).
  • One recent, color photograph 2×2 inches (5×5 cm)
  • Social Security Number
  • Fee

Note: Effective October 1, 2016, you must provide your Social Security number, if you have been issued one, on your application for a U.S. passport, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).

If you or your child does not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have/(Child’s full name) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

Your passport application will be delayed or denied if you do not provide a Social Security number or a statement declaring that a Social Security number has not been issued to you. Contact the Social Security Administration for information about obtaining a new or replacement Social Security number and card.