Passport Services

The U.S. Embassy, Consulates, and Consular Agencies in Brazil accept passport applications from U.S. Citizens in Brazil.



The Passport Wizard guides you through the steps to either renew your passport by mail or to schedule an appointment to submit your application in person at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. After you answer all the questions, the system will provide a list of the required documents and instructions on how to proceed. If requesting services for more than one person, each person must use the passport wizard and determine their eligibility.

All U.S. Citizens living in Brazil who are eligible to use the DS-82 passport renewal form must renew their U.S. passports by mail through the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro. Use the Passport Wizard to determine eligibility for the mail-in program.

Note: If you are renewing your passport and would like to order a passport card as well, you cannot use the Renewal By Mail Program. Please schedule an appointment: Contact Information and Working Hours   


You must renew by mail if all of these conditions apply to you:

Your passport is:

  • Undamaged;
  • Issued within the last 15 years;
  • Issued with a 10-year validity; and
  • Issued in your current name, or you have changed your name and can submit legal documents to prove this change.

If you do not meet all of these conditions, please use the passport wizard for more information.


1.DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals
Complete a DS-82 form: Available online here or as a downloadable PDF. (84 KB)

  • You must complete both pages of the DS-82, print, then sign and date it.
  • You must print your form single sided. We do not accept double-sided forms.
  • For contact information outside of the United States, you can fill them out in pen after the form has been printed.
  • You must provide a Social Security number if you have been issued one.
  • If you do not have a Social Security number you must submit this statement, signed and dated.
  • If you do not remember your Social Security number, please send an e-mail to to recover it before you start the passport application process.
  • If you need a passport card, you must make an appointment online at your closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Passport cards may serve as identification of U.S. citizenship but may not be used for international air travel. They may be used to enter the United States at land crossings and seaports from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda only. An additional fee applies to passport cards.

2. Photocopy and Submit your Most Recent U.S. Passport
You must submit your most recent passport and a photocopy of the passport bio data page.

  • Your U.S. passport must be signed.
  • Your old passport will be returned to you, along with any original documents and your new passport.

3. Include Name Change Documents (if applicable)
If the name you currently use is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide an original legal name change document with a photocopy. If you do not want to mail in your original document, you can provide a certified copy. We will return the original name change document to you. Examples include:

  • Marriage certificate.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Court-ordered name change document.

4. Provide a Photo
For more information on passport photo requirements, click here.

  1. Submit a color photo, taken within the last six months.
  2. Size: 2 x 2 inches/5 x 5 cm.
  3. Use a white or off-white background.
  4. Do not bend the photo.

You cannot wear eyeglasses in your passport photo (unless you have a signed note from your doctor that you include with your application).

5. Passport Payment
Pay the USD 130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site, You must print and include the electronic payment confirmation you will receive via e-mail in your application package.

6. Arrange Passport Delivery
The U.S. Mission in Brazil works with Correios to deliver your new passport. Arrange mail-back payment with Correios by e-mailing State where you would like to receive your U.S. passport and specify your preferred address. If possible, write your e-mail in Portuguese. Please note that delivery will only be made within Brazil. In your e-mail, include your full name, complete address, and how many new passports will be delivered. Correios will reply with the amount to be paid and their bank account information to have the money wired or deposited.

Important: You must include the Correios payment confirmation with your application package.

7. Mail your Documents
Here are the required documents for your passport renewal application:

  • Correios mail-back payment confirmation;
  • Completed and signed Form DS-82 (both pages);
  • Recent passport photo;
  • Most recent U.S. passport and a copy of the biographical page of the passport;
  • Payment receipt from Pay.Gov; 
  • If applicable, name change documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).

Applicants in Brazil should mail application packets to:
U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro
Attn: Consular Section / ACS
Av. Presidente Wilson 147 – Castelo
20030-020 Rio de Janeiro – RJ

Important: Do not submit a return envelope to us with prepaid postage. Note that folders, extra letters, and envelopes that are not part of the passport application packet will be destroyed.


If you have imminent travel, make an online appointment at your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for an emergency passport. 

You may verify the status of your passport application by accessing

Note: Please do NOT send your application directly to the National Passport Processing Center in the United States, because this will significantly delay your application.

Use the Passport Wizard to be directed to schedule an appointment. The Passport Wizard guides you through the steps to schedule an appointment to submit your application in person at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

If you need to travel immediately to the United States and need a new passport to do so, the Embassy or Consulate can assist you by issuing an emergency passport. Contact the closest Embassy or Consulate to schedule an emergency appointment.

If you need an expedite appointment, send us an email with the Title “Emergency passport – Your Name” and include in your message:

  • Full name of everyone that needs an emergency passport.
  • Telephone number with area code.
  • Age of everyone that needs an emergency passport.
  • State of Brazil where you are.
  • Intended date of travel.
  • Inform if you are in possession of your previous passport.

Porto Alegre:
Rio de Janeiro:
São Paulo:

Note: You must provide your Social Security number, if you have been issued one, on your application for a U.S. passport, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f). If you or your child does not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have/(Child’s full name) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.” Your passport application will be delayed or denied if you do not provide a Social Security number or a statement declaring that a Social Security number has not been issued to you. If you do not remember your Social Security number, please send an e-mail to to recover it.

If your passport has been lost or stolen, it should be reported immediately to help protect yourself against identity theft and to prevent someone else from using the passport.

You may electronically submit form DS-64 to report your passport lost or stolen.

Click the following link to get started: After clicking on the above link, you will be directed to a secure portal. Navigate to the tab labeled “Report Lost or Stolen” and click “Submit”. You will be asked to enter personal information and information regarding your lost or stolen passport.

Department of State regulations do not allow applicants to request passport amendments to make any changes to the biometric page of your passport (including name change due to marriage or other legal change and corrections to sex or date/place of birth).

If any of this information has changed or is incorrect, you must apply for a new passport.

Use the chart below to determine how to correct, change, or update information in your U.S. Passport.

  Type of correction or change How long since the passport was issued?  Fee  Documents
Printing Error – typo or incorrect date of birth Anytime during the validity of the passport No DS-5504 / Photo / Passport.

Use the Passport Wizard for information on how submit the documents.

Name Change – legally documented One year or less from date of issue No DS-5504 / Photo / Passport / Name Change Document.

Use the Passport Wizard for information on how submit the documents.

Name Change – legally documented More than one year from date of issue Yes
Use the passport wizard and follow the instructions.
Replacement of a Limited Passport Less than one year No DS-5504 /Photo / Limited Passport.

Use the Passport Wizard for information on how submit the documents.

Replacement of a Limited Passport More than one year Yes
Use the passport wizard and follow the instructions.


If you experience trouble filling out the online forms, click below to download them:

Notice: For security reasons, visa applicants and U.S. citizens are not allowed to enter the Embassy or Consulates with cell phones and other electronic devices (including but not limited to smartwatches, activity monitoring devices such as fitbits, tablets, laptops, and recording devices).  Bags, except for one small purse or equivalent, are also not allowed.  All visitors and items brought into the Embassy or Consulates are subject to a complete search.  Neither the Embassy nor the Consulates have storage facilities for such items.  We strongly discourage our customers from bringing these devices when they come to the Embassy or Consulates to conduct business.  If you must bring these devices with you, there are private companies that provide storage facilities for a fee.  These companies are not sanctioned by or otherwise affiliated with the U.S. government, and the U.S. government takes no responsibility for devices left in their care.

I have downloaded the passport forms and note that the instructions on the forms are different from those on this website. Which should I follow? 

Most of the instructions on the passport forms refer to passport applications processed in the United States. You will fill out the same form but should follow the instructions on this website.

If I don’t plan to travel back to the United States any time soon, why should I renew my passport now? 

  • The passport is proof of U.S citizenship. Every U.S. citizen abroad should always have valid proof of citizenship.
  • Life is unpredictable. You never know when you may need to travel suddenly to the United States. The last thing you need to do in an emergency is worry about getting to the Embassy or Consulate to get your or your child’s passport renewed. It is much better to do it when it is convenient for you.
  • A valid passport is required for many Brazilian administrative purposes, and you do not want to get caught with an expired passport if you need to process an application for some benefit.
  • In the event of an emergency involving a family member abroad, a short-notice airfare bargain, or an unexpected business trip, already having a valid U.S. passport will save time, money and stress.

I have visa stamps in my current passport. What happens to them when this passport is cancelled? 

When you renew your passport, your old passport will be cancelled but not your valid visas. You should then contact the appropriate authority of the issuing country for further instruction.

Can I hold more than one passport or nationality? 

Yes. In the 1980s, the Supreme Court ruled that citizenship is a constitutional right that cannot be taken away from a citizen who does not intend to relinquish it. Therefore, such actions as naturalization in a foreign country, employment with a foreign government, and/or voting in a foreign election do not automatically jeopardize American citizenship.

I am an American citizen, but also have a foreign passport. Can I use my foreign passport to travel to the United States? 

No. Under U.S. law, U.S. citizens must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter or leave the United States. This is true even if you hold a passport from another country. If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, or if it has expired, you must apply to replace it before traveling to the United States.

I travel frequently and my passport is always at some embassy/consulate to obtain a visa. Can I get a second passport? 

Current regulations reflect the long-standing policy of the Department of State that no person should be in possession of more than one valid, or potentially valid, passport at any one time unless under circumstances specifically authorized by the Secretary of State. The issuance of a second, concurrently valid passport should be considered an exception to the regulations, and is to be approved on an individual basis only where justified. The validity of a regular American passport is ten years. The second, concurrently valid passport will be limited in validity for four years. You will need follow the same procedures to apply for a regular passport and also provide a signed and dated statement clearly explaining why you need a second passport book.

I wish to apply for a passport for my child. Am I required to bring him/her to the Embassy / Consulate? 

Yes. Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by both parents. An appointment will be required. Please see the instructions for your specific passport service for more information.

My child is too young to sign his/her passport. How do I sign my child’s passport? 

If the bearer is unable to sign, the passport must be signed by a person with legal authority to sign on their behalf.  The signature page must include the bearer’s name, the signature of the guardian, and the relationship to the applicant (i.e., mother, father, parent, or legal guardian).

In the space provided for the signature, the parent must print the child’s name and sign his/her own name. Then, in parentheses, write the word (mother) or (father).

How do I get information about my child’s passport or prevent a U.S. passport from being issued to my child? 

Parents involved in international custody disputes may receive information about the United States passport of a minor from the Department of State, Passport Services.

For passport assistance for parents and information on International Child Abduction see International Parental Child Abduction.

Generally, immediate family members may accompany passport or CRBA applicants to their appointments  at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and all minor children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.  Passport or CRBA applicants also have the option of being accompanied by an attorney. Attendance by any third party, including an attorney, accompanying an applicant is subject to the following parameters:

Given space limitations in the consular section, not more than one attendee at a time will be allowed to accompany an applicant (with the exception of an applicant’s parents or guardians if the applicant is a minor). Attendance by an attorney does not excuse the applicant and/or the minor applicant’s parent or guardian from attending the appointment interview in person.

The manner in which a passport or CRBA appointment interview is conducted, and the scope and nature of the inquiry, shall at all times be at the discretion of the consular officer, following applicable Departmental guidance. It is expected that attorneys will provide their clients with relevant legal advice prior to, rather than at, the appointment interview, and will advise their clients prior to the appointment interview that the client will participate in the appointment interview with minimal assistance.

Attorneys may not engage in any form of legal argumentation during the appointment interview and before the consular officer.

Attendees other than a parent or guardian accompanying a minor child may not answer a consular officer’s question on behalf or in lieu of an applicant, nor may they summarize, correct, or attempt to clarify an applicant’s response, or interrupt or interfere with an applicant’s responses to a consular officer’s questions. To the extent that an applicant does not understand a question, s/he should seek clarification from the consular officer directly.

The consular officer has sole discretion to determine the appropriate language(s) for communication with the applicant, based on the facility of both officer and applicant and the manner and form that best facilitate communication between the consular officer and the applicant.  Attendees may not demand that communications take place in a particular language solely for the benefit of the attendee.  Nor may attendees object to or insist on the participation of an interpreter in the appointment interview, to the qualifications of any interpreter, or to the manner or substance of any translation.

No attendee may coach or instruct applicants as to how to answer a consular officer’s question.

Attendees may not object to a consular officer’s question on any ground (including that the attendee regards the question to be inappropriate, irrelevant, or adversarial), or instruct the applicant not to answer a consular officer’s question.  Attendees may not interfere in any manner with the consular officer’s ability to conduct all inquiries and fact-finding necessary to exercise his or her responsibilities to adjudicate the application.

During a passport or CRBA appointment interview, attendees may not discuss or inquire about other applications. Attendees may take written notes but may not otherwise record the appointment interviews.

Attendees may not engage in any other conduct that materially disrupts the appointment interview.  For example, they may not yell at or otherwise attempt to intimidate or abuse a consular officer or staff, and they may not engage in any conduct that threatens U.S. national security or the security of the embassy or its personnel.  Attendees must follow all security policies of the Department of State and the U.S. embassy or consulate where the appointment interview takes place.

Attendees may not engage in any conduct that violates this policy and/or otherwise materially disrupts the appointment interview.  Failure to observe these parameters will result in a warning to the attendee and, if ignored, the attendee may be asked to leave the appointment interview and/or the premises, as appropriate.  It would then be the applicant’s choice whether to continue the appointment interview without the attendee present, subject to the consular officer’s discretion to terminate the appointment interview.  The safety and privacy of all applicants awaiting consular services, as well as of consular and embassy personnel, is of paramount consideration.