Passports for Minor Children

To enhance the accurate identification of passport applicants and aid in the prevention of international child abduction and trafficking, the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs requires the personal presence of all minors applying for U.S. passports. This applies to all regular, official and diplomatic passports for children under the age of 16, even if the child has previously been issued a passport.

When applying for a U.S. passport for minors parents are required to have their child present and submit documentation of parental relationship and consent.

Required documents:

    • Documentation of parental relationship (e.g. the child’s original birth certificate, report of birth abroad, or adoption decree)
    • Documents that prove U.S. citizenship (birth certificate or report of birth abroad)
  • Application forms:
    • Complete DS-11 online and print.
    • If you experience trouble with the Passport Application Wizard, click on Form DS-11 (PDF 90KB).
    • DS-3053 (PDF 29KB) (Notarized Statement of Consent and a certified copy of the other non-applying parent’s ID document – if a parent cannot be present for the appointment). The non-applying parent must sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of the certified notary public.

      Note: Brazilian notaries (cartórios) sometimes notarize documents without the person present and in their seal use the phrase “por semelhanca” —this will not be accepted./blockquote>

    • DS-5525 (PDF 41KB) (Statement of Exigent/ Special Family Circumstances – if one parent cannot be located to give parental authorization)
  • One recent, color photograph 2×2 inches (5×5 cm)
  • In case of passport renewals, if the child’s physical appearance has changed significantly since the last passport photograph, the Embassy/Consulate may request transitional photos as proof of identification.
  • Social Security Number
  • Fee

Note: Effective October 1, 2016, you must provide your Social Security number, if you have been issued one, on your application for a U.S. passport, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).

If you or your child does not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have/(Child’s full name) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

Your passport application will be delayed or denied if you do not provide a Social Security number or a statement declaring that a Social Security number has not been issued to you. Contact the Social Security Administration for information about obtaining a new or replacement Social Security number and card.

For more information about the US passport for minor children click here.