Travel of Minors

The Brazilian National Council of Justice (CNJ) published new Resolution no. 131 on May 26, 2011, which regulates international travel of Brazilian minors under the age of 18. If your child has Brazilian citizenship, this rule will apply to you, even if he/she is a dual citizen.

From now on, minor children travelling outside Brazil by themselves or accompanied by one parent/ legal guardian or designated person must provide the travel authorization that complies with Resolution 131. The travel authorization will be necessary at the check-in of airline/maritime/ road companies even if parents or persons responsible for the children or teenagers are present.

Parents or guardians must either sign the authorization before an official notary or have their signatures notarized by a notary public. The travel authorization should contain an expiration date, to be determined by the parents or legal guardians. If no validity date is specified it will be valid for two years. Two copies are necessary: one to be retained by the supervisory agent of the Federal Police at the boarding inspection, and the second copy to remain with the child/adolescent. Each trip requires separate travel authorizations. For more information please read the Travel of Minor Children Manual (PDF – 2MB).

Adoptive parents accompanying Brazilian children adopted under the “Hague Intercountry Adoption” process who are leaving Brazil for the first time, should provide a judicial order with travel authorization issued as per terms of the §9, art. 52. of “Estatuto da Crianca e do Adolescente”, (Lei No. 12.010/09), when passing through the immigration.

For after hours emergency assistance, you may contact the Judicial Court at 21 3133-2000.

  • If you are currently in Brazil, please print out, complete the Authorization form (PDF – 258KB) on the Travel of Minor Children Manual (PDF – 2MB), and have the signature notarized by a Brazilian notary.
  • If you are currently outside Brazil, please print out, complete the Authorization form (PDF – 258KB) and sign at a Brazilian Embassy or Consulate.