U.S. citizens overseas are guaranteed the right to vote in U.S. federal elections. Please note that you cannot simply log on to a website and vote at the last minute. Almost all states require voters to physically send in registration documents, receive paper ballots by return post, and mail in their completed ballots.

You cannot register or vote at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates.  However, we do provide the forms needed to request an absentee ballot from your last state of residence. 

The Federal Voting Assistance Program website has detailed information about absentee voting and how to submit an absentee ballot request form. Please visit the FVAP’s Voting FAQ to learn more.

Voting officers at the U.S. Embassy in Brasília and the U.S. Consulates General in Porto Alegre, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, and São Paulo can also answer absentee voting questions.

To contact the voting officer:

The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil are closed on Brazilian and American holidays.

We strongly encourage that you begin this process as soon as possible. Please look for notices from the Embassy and Consulates throughout the election year.

Note:  Voting officers do not provide information on candidates and issues. 


  • To request an absentee ballot, you must complete and submit a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), available on the FVAP website:
  • A voting officer from your state approves your registration request, or they will ask for more information.
  • Once approved, a voting employee from your state will send your absentee ballot by mail.
  • Fill in the ballot, notarize it at the Embassy or Consulate, if necessary, and send it by mail to your state of residence.
  • You can send the FPCA to the United States free of charge through the Embassy or Consulate if the envelope reads postage paid. You can also mail your completed ballot directly using the Brazilian postal system and paying for postage.