Contact Information and Working Hours – São Paulo

U.S. Consulate General São Paulo
Rua Henri Dunant, 500
Chácara Santo Antonio
São Paulo- SP, Brazil
Zip code: 04709-110
Phone Numbers: (11) 3230.2170 / (11) 3958.7007

Frequently Asked Questions

1.1 I only have a layover in the United States.

Nonimmigrant visas are for international travelers temporarily visiting the United States. The visa allows you to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (airport, for example) and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Customs and Border Protection immigration officer to enter the United States. A visa does not guarantee entry.

Even visitors transiting through the United States on their way to any other destination are required to have a U.S. visa, even if you do not intend to exit the airport.

1.2 I have dual-nationality with an ESTA eligible country.

Brazilians of dual-nationality who hold a valid passport for a country that participates in the visa-waiver program may apply for ESTA using the passport for the participating country.

ESTA is administered by DHS/CBP. If you have a question concerning ESTA, please visit their website : for a list of FAQs and contact information. We are unable to answer your inquiry.

If you hold a valid B-1, B-2 or B-1/B-2 visa you are not required to register under ESTA.


2.1 How do I start the application process?

The first step in applying for a visa is to fill out a DS 160. You can select “Portuguese” from the language bar in the upper right. Note, the page will still appear in English. To view the translation, simply hover the mouse over a text field and the Portuguese will appear. Please watch this video for more tips on filling out the DS 160.

The site does experience intermittent connectivity issues. If you experience such difficulties we recommend that you try accessing the website at another time and or a different browser. Moreover, we recommend that you separate all the necessary documents beforehand in order to complete your DS-160 form. Please save your records in order to avoid losing the information provided due to internet connection issues.

In case you need to make corrections on the information provided, please access, and then click on “Retrieve An Application”, type the “Application ID” number and answer to the security questions. This will allow you to add data to or make corrections on your form. Please don’t forget to submit your DS-160 form again and to print the confirmation page for your appointments. However, if you were unable to save your data, please complete a new DS-160. Your appointments will remain the same, even though you have a new application ID.

2.2 Do I need to pay a fee? How much?

The Department is required by law to recover the cost of processing nonimmigrant visas through the collection of the visa application fee (MRV). It must be paid in advance, whether or not the visa is granted. The MRV processing fee is non-refundable and not transferable to another applicant.

The fees for common visa types are:

US$160 for the following categories: B1/B2; C1/D; F; J; M; I

US$190 for the following categories: H; L; O; P; Q; R

After filling out the DS-160, create an account on, so you will be able to pay the MRV fee and schedule your appointments at the Visa Appointment Service Center (ASC), where you will have your photo and fingerprints captured, and at the United States Consulate, where you will have your interview (if necessary).

For your appointments please bring your current passport, any previous passport with a U.S. visa (if applicable), the confirmation page from the DS-160, the confirmation page of your appointment time, and a photo for any member of your party who will not be present at the interview.


4.1 What do I bring?

The mandatory documents are your passport (the current one, as well as the previous ones with U.S. visas) and the DS-160 confirmation page. You can also bring any and all documents that establish your ties outside the United States. These can include bank statements, pay stubs, proof of employment, proof of enrollment in a university, etc. The Consular Officer conducting the interview may ask for all or none of these documents during your interview.

4.2. Who is exempt from the interview?

Brazilian citizens aged 13 and younger or those who are age 80 and older applying for B1/B2 visas for tourism or business, and who have never been denied a visa are generally not required to schedule an interview at the Consulate or Embassy. Applicants within these age groups do not need to have their fingerprints or photo collected, however they should schedule an appointment at the Visa Applicant Service Center to deliver their documents. These documents can be delivered by the applicant or by their representative. If the applicant is aged 13 and younger and will travel with their parents, please include a photocopy of the parents’ visas with the application.

Applicants aged 13 and younger, and applicants 80 and older who do not qualify for an interview waiver must be fingerprinted.

The consular section reserves the right to interview applicants as necessary.

5.1 My visa was approved. How do I get my passport back?

Your passport will returned to you by the delivery option you selected during the application process. That is, it will either be delivered to your home or you will pick it up at the Visa Application Service Center. You will usually receive your passport within 10 business days.

5.2 My visa was denied but I do not understand why.

If your visa was refused, the Consular Officer at the interview gave you a letter explaining the reason for the refusal under the Immigration and Naturalization Act of the United States. We are not able to provide additional details on specific cases.

6.1 I am renewing a still valid or recently expired visa. Do I need to schedule an interview?

Residents of Brazil who are holders of visas in the some categories may be eligible to renew their visas without interview if their visa is still valid or expired less than 12 months before re-application. Note you are not eligible for interview waiver if you have previously been denied a U.S. visa.

More details are available here.

6.2 My name has changed since I was issued my visa.

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered name change, you will need to obtain a new passport.  Once you have a new passport, the Department of State recommends that you apply for a new U.S. visa to make it easier for you to travel to and from the United States. If you are not able to get a new visa to match your passport, you should carry the legal document that shows your name change and be ready to show it at the airport when you enter the U.S.

If you have emergency travel that does not allow you time to get your visa updated, we recommend that when traveling, you carry a copy of the document showing the name change.

6.3 My visa was damaged.

If your valid U.S. visa is damaged, you should not try to travel with it. You will need to apply for a new visa and schedule a new interview, including the payment of all associated fees.

6.4 My passport with my visa was lost or stolen.

If your passport with a valid visa was lost or stolen, please contact the American Embassy or Consulate where your visa was issued immediately.  For visas issued in São Paulo, follow the instructions on this form.

If you informed the consulate about the loss of the passport with a valid visa, the visa will be canceled. If you find the passport, you should not travel to the United States on it. If you wish to apply for a new visa, you’ll have to fill out a new DS-160, pay the application fee and schedule an appointment to apply for the new visa.

6.5 My visa is still valid, but my passport expired.

If the passport with your visa has expired, the visa in the old passport can still be used provided that you are traveling with the same purpose as when the visa was issued and that you also carry a valid passport of the same nationality. If, however, the passport authority clipped the corners of the passport when canceling it and, in doing so, damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for traveling to the United States.

If you wish to have a visa in your new passport, you are required to apply for the issuance of a new visa by following the instructions on our website. The visa cannot be transferred into your new passport.

6.6 My passport expires in less than 6 months.

Citizens of Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela and other countries are exempt from the requirement that visitors traveling to the U.S. be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S.

Citizens of these countries need only have a passport valid for their intended period of stay.

6.7 There is a mistake on my visa

The information printed on your visa is based on the data provided on the DS-160 form. If you wish to request a correction on your visa due to an error made by the Consulate, please do it within a period of twelve months after its issuance. You should proceed to the Visa Application Service Center and they will assist you in returning your passport to the Consulate to correct the visa.

7.1 I need to travel immediately. Can I schedule an emergency appointment?

If you have an emergency and need to travel as soon as possible, select “Expedite Request” when you log-in to the Visa Appointment Service Center website. The Consulate will consider your request and approve or deny it, depending on the specific circumstances.  Often, approval of these requests is limited to true emergencies involving life and death or severe financial harm. Note that work-related travel does not often constitute an emergency.

7.2 I need to reschedule my appointment.

You can cancel or reschedule your appointment, as long as the date of your initial appointment has not already passed. Visit the Visa Appointment Service Center website, log-in your account, and select “Cancel Interview” or “Reschedule Interview”.

7.3 I am having a problem getting my passport back from Visa Application Service Center

If you’re having problems scheduling the withdrawal of your passport, please contact the ASC directly. Their contact email and phone numbers are available on this link:

7.4 There is a mistake on my passport biodata page

Data printed on a U.S. visa must match exactly the information on the biodata page of your passport. If there is an error on your passport, we request that you apply for a new passport with the Federal Police before applying for a visa. Failure to do so may result in your visa not being issued until the error is corrected.

7.5 My question is not answered here



Electronics are not permitted in the U.S Consulate, applicants must make arrangements to leave all electronic devices outside the U.S. Consulate during their interview.


The U.S. Consulate São Paulo does not provide parking for visitors seeking consular services. There are commercial parking spaces available near the U.S. Consulate.


The scheduling service offers priority registration for students and exchange visitor visa applicants, as well as for B1/B2 visa renewals for applicants whose visas are still valid or have expired within the past 48 months. Please arrive at the consulate at your appointment time.

Hours of Operation: Passports Delivery
Interviews 7:30am – 3:30pm (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)*
Diplomatic/official passports 2:00pm – 3:00pm (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)*
Visas with errors issued within one year** 2:00pm – 2:30pm (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)*

*Except for official Brazilian and U.S. holidays

**We recommend that you attend the Consulate only at the time of your appointment.

The consular section is closed every Wednesday, as well as on official Brazilian and United States holidays.

Passports Delivery

Passports will usually be returned within ten (10) business days, unless additional administrative process is required.

All applicants should be aware that the deadlines mentioned reflect average and that the processing time of a particular case may vary due to individual circumstances and other special requirements.