The interview: documents and information

Consular processing in Brazil:

You must obtain the required documents provided in the next steps and submit them at the day of your interview.

Note: Immigrant visas interviews in Brazil are conducted only at the Consulate in Rio de Janeiro.


About documents:

  • We can only accept readable and good quality documents. If not, the applicant will need to procure a recently issued second copy of the document.
  • If your documents were prepared by a lawyer, please double check that all requirements are met according to the instructions. Likewise, double check the information in the entire immigrant visa forms.
  • Check your name, date and place of birth to guarantee that they are correct in all documents (passport, birth and marriage certificates, police certificates, etc.) and on the forms.
  • The medical examination must be performed in Brazil by one of the panel physicians that have a partnership with the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro. Medical examinations performed in the United States are not acceptable. The list of certified doctors is available in this website. Please do not schedule your medical examination until you have your visa interview scheduled.
  • Translations: If your documents are written in Portuguese or English, there is NO need to translate them. If the documents are in other languages, these must be accompanied by official translations to English. Look for an official translator to do it. The translated document must contain a statement by the translator attesting that: the translation is correct, done by a competent translator and with the notarization of his/her signature.

Children immigrating with you:

  • In most cases, in order to immigrate with you to the United States as dependents, your children must be unmarried and under the age of 21 at the time they enter the United States.

Note: If any of your children will turn 21 within 90 days of your visa appointment, please notify the Immigrant Visa Unit at the United States Consulate in Rio de Janeiro, immediately. 

J-1/J-2 visa holders:

  • If you have been in the U.S. under a J-1 visa or a J-2 visa you may be subject to Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, which requires that you spend at least two years in your home country before immigrating to the United States. Check your J-1 or J-2 visa if you are not sure whether 212(e) applies to you. More information is available on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

Deportation or voluntary departure:

  • If you have been deported from the U.S., have been subject to Voluntary Departure, or been the subject of other immigration enforcement action you must bring records of your case to your immigrant visa interview. You may need to obtain an approved Form I-212, permission to reapply, from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service before you can be issued an immigrant visa.

Step 1: Filling out the DS-260

The DS- 260 online immigrant visa application is available via Consular Electronic Application Center – CEAC.

Each family member must complete a separate DS-260.

Please fill out the DS-260 completely. To complete and submit the forms online you must have your NVC case number and your invoice I.D. number (refer to the message you received from NVC). If you filed your I-130 immigrant visa petition at an U.S. consulate or embassy, you should use your date of birth instead of the invoice number in YYYY/MM/DD format. (Ex.: 1888/05/13).

Step 2: Collect Required Documents

You must bring originals of all documents you submitted to NVC with you to the visa interview. You must also bring any documents NVC informed you were missing from your case.  Note that police certificates are generally valid for one year. If your police certificates are expired, you will need to obtain new ones before the interview. (Information on how to obtain police certificates from countries other than Brazil is available on

Required Documents:

A passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least 8 (eight) months’ validity beyond the issuance date of the immigrant visa. Children also need to have their own passport.

A copy of the passport page that contains the biographic information, passport number and photo must be sent to the consulate along with all required documentation.

Note: All previous passports, even the ones already expired/cancelled that have U.S. visas or entries to the United States should be brought on the day of the interview.

Obtain the original, or certified copy, of the birth record of each family member (yourself, your spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21) Married, divorced or widowed applicants should bring their birth certificates in addition to their marriage certificates. If you or any of your children were adopted, you must also submit a certified copy of the final adoption decree.

The certificate must contain the:

  • Person’s date and place of birth.
  • Names of both parents
  • Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records.

Note: Digital civil registry certificates are not acceptable.

Your birth record may not be obtainable. Some reasons are listed below.

  • Your birth was never officially recorded.
  • Your birth records have been destroyed.
  • The appropriate government authority will not issue one.

Please obtain a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason your birth record is not available. With the certified statement you must obtain secondary evidence such as:

  • A baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth and both parent’s names providing the baptism took place shortly after birth or;
  • An adoption decree for an adopted child or;
  • An affidavit from a close relative, preferably the applicant’s mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parent’s names, and the mother’s maiden name. The affidavit must be notarized.

An affidavit must be executed before an official authorized to take oaths or affirmations. 

Note: Information regarding the procedures for obtaining birth certificates is usually available from the embassy or consulate of the country concerned.

Married applicants must obtain an original marriage certificate (civil marriage), or a certified copy, bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority.

Note: Digital civil registry certificates are not acceptable.

Applicants who have been previously married must obtain evidence of the termination of each prior marriage. Evidence must be in the form of original documents issued by a competent authority, or certified copies bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority.

Acceptable evidence is a:

  • Final divorce decree or;
  • Death certificate or;
  • Annulment.

Note: Digital civil registry certificates are not acceptable.

Persons who have served in the military forces of any country must obtain one copy of the military record.

Note: Military records from certain countries are unavailable. More specific information is available here.


In Brazil, police certificates are issued only for applicants over the age of 18. Each applicant,  older than 18 years old or older must present two police certificates: one from the State Police (Secretaria de Segurança Pública) and one from the Federal Police (Polícia Federal).

Secretaria de Segurança Pública

Applicants resident in Brazil must obtain a certificate from the “Polícia Técnico Científica”, “Instituto de Identificação” from each state in Brazil where the applicant has resided for six months or longer in the last five years. If you have resided in more than one state in Brazil, during this period, you will need a police certificate from each state.

Polícia Federal

Applicants resident in Brazil to must obtain a certificate from the Federal Police. Access to request this document.

Notes: Federal and state police certificates issued online are accepted. The certificates issued by “Cartório” or “Fórum” are NOT acceptable.

Persons who have been convicted or charged with a crime must obtain a certified copy of the full court record and any prison record, even if they were subsequently acquitted or benefited from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency.

One (1) photo is required of all applicants regardless of age. Follow the photo specifications at

All applicants applying for an immigrant visa, regardless of age, need to undergo a medical examination. Medical examinations performed in the U.S. will not be accepted, even if the local panel physician is authorized by DHS. Please access the medical examination page for further instructions.

Important information about the interview:

  • We cannot guarantee in advance that your visa will be approved and issued. Only a consular officer can determine your eligibility after your interview. Do not make any final travel arrangements, sell your properties or quit your job before you have your visa in hand.
  • If your case is approved your passport and visa will be delivered to you according to the choice you made when you scheduled your appointment. For any questions related to passport delivery please contact the ASC