The Interview: documents and information

Consular processing in Brazil:

You must obtain the required documents provided in the next steps and submit them at the day of your interview. .

Note: Immigrant visas interviews in Brazil are conducted only at the Consulate in Rio de Janeiro.


About the documents:

  • We can only accept readable and good quality documents. Otherwise, we will have to ask you to resubmit a recent issued document.
  • Verify all the documents previously prepared by a lawyer (in case you have one) and make sure they are according with the instructions. Make sure all information in the forms is correct.
  • Verify that your name, date and place of birth are correct in all the documents (passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, police certificates, etc.) and on all the forms.
  • The medical exam cannot be performed out of Brazil, not even in the United States. It must be performed by one of the physicians in this list. We recomnend you do not schedule your medical exam before you know your interview date.
  • Translations: If your documents are in Portuguese or English they do NOT need to be translated. However, if the documents are in a third language (neither in Portuguese or English); they must be accompanied by certified English translations done by an Official Translator. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the translation is accurate, and translator is competent to translate.

About dependents in the same process:

  • In most of the cases, in order to immigrate with you to the United States, or to follow you at a later date, your children must be unmarried and under the age of 21 at the time they enter the United States.

Note: If any of your children will turn 21 within 90 days, please notify the Immigrant Visa Unit at the United States Consulate in Rio de Janeiro, immediately. Failure to notify the United States Consulate in Rio de Janeiro that you have a child who will turn 21 may result in that child being above the legal age at the time your visa is issued. In that event, you will be required to file a separate petition for your child after you immigrate, and your son or daughter will face a waiting period before he or she will be eligible for visa processing.

About J-1/J-2 visa holders:

  • If you have been a student in the U.S. under a J-1 visa or a dependent under J-2 visa you may be subject to Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. That means that you must be required to return for a two-year period to your native country or country of residence. If you wish to return sooner than that to the United States to reside permanently, first, you have to request an authorization from the Brazilian Government and then you may request a waiver from the United States Government. These authorizations need to be granted prior to receiving an immigrant visa to the United States. More information on this subject is available at USCIS website.

About report of deportation or voluntary removal:

  • If you had any previous problems with the USCIS you must send the official reports along with the complete documentation to our office. Applicants who have previously been deported or removed at government expense from the United States within the last five years must obtain Form I-212, Permission to Reapply after Deportation, from the USCIS, or from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and follow the instructions included on that form. USCIS must previously approve form I-212 before you can receive the immigrant visa, but this does not necessarily need to be done before the interview date.

Step 1: Filling out DS-260:

The DS-260 online visa application contains questions regarding specific biographical information required for the immigrant visa. The DS- 260 online visa application is available via Consular Electronic Application Center – CEAC.

Each family member that is eligible to travel to the United States with you under this visa classification is required to complete the DS-260. Please note that minors must have respective parents/responsible person filling it out the form.

Please fill out the DS-260 completely. To complete and submit the forms on line you must have: Internet access, your NVC Case Number (refer to the message you received from NVC) and Your Invoice I.D. number (refer to the message you received from NVC). If you filed your petition at an American Consulate or Embassy you should use your date of birth instead of the invoice number in YYYY/MM/DD format. (Ex.: 1888/05/13).

Step 2: Registering and/ or scheduling an interview:

Please click here for instructions.

Step 3: Obtaining and Preparing Documents:

Please obtain the original documents or certified copies (along with one simple copy) from an appropriate authority for yourself and each family member who will accompany you to the United States. All documents listed in these instructions that pertain to your petition are required again, even if they were previously submitted to the DHS with your petition.

Required Documents:

A passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least 8 (eight) months’ validity beyond the issuance date of the immigrant visa. Children also need to have their own passport.

A copy of the passport page that contains the biographic information, passport number and photo must be sent to the consulate along with all required documentation.

Note: All previous passports, even the ones already expired/cancelled that have U.S. visas or entries to the United States should be brought on the day of the interview.

Obtain the original, or certified copy, of the birth record of each family member (yourself, your spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21) Married, divorced or widowed applicants should bring their birth certificates in addition to their marriage certificates. If you or any of your children were adopted, you must also submit a certified copy of the final adoption decree.

The certificate must contain the:

  • Person’s date and place of birth.
  • Names of both parents
  • Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records.

Your birth record may not be obtainable. Some reasons are listed below.

  • Your birth was never officially recorded.
  • Your birth records have been destroyed.
  • The appropriate government authority will not issue one.

Please obtain a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason your birth record is not available. With the certified statement you must obtain secondary evidence such as:

  • A baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth and both parent’s names providing the baptism took place shortly after birth or;
  • An adoption decree for an adopted child or;
  • An affidavit from a close relative, preferably the applicant’s mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parent’s names, and the mother’s maiden name. The affidavit must be notarized.

An affidavit must be executed before an official authorized to take oaths or affirmations. 

Note: Information regarding the procedures for obtaining birth certificates is usually available from the embassy or consulate of the country concerned.

Married applicants must obtain an original marriage certificate (civil marriage), or a certified copy, bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority.

Applicants who have been previously married must obtain evidence of the termination of each prior marriage. Evidence must be in the form of original documents issued by a competent authority, or certified copies bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority.

Acceptable evidence is a:

  • Final divorce decree or;
  • Death certificate or;
  • Annulment.

Persons who have served in the military forces of any country must obtain one copy of the military record.

Note: Military records from certain countries are unavailable. More specific information is available here.


Police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years or older.

The bulleted list below shows how many police certificates are required based on where each applicant lives and has lived previously. 

Note: You may need police certificates from several different countries/localities. Be sure to obtain all of them prior to the interview. Police certificates from United States are not required. 

  • If the applicant is living in their country of nationality at their current residence for more than 6 months and is 16 years old or older, then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.
  • If the applicant lived in a different part of his/her country of nationality for more than 6 months and is 16 years old or older, then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.
  • If the applicant lived in a different part of his/her country of nationality for more than 6 months and was 16 years old or older at that time, then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.
  • If the applicant * lived in a different country for more than 12 months or currently resides in another country for more than 6 months and was 16 years or older at that time, then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.
  • If the applicant was arrested for any reason, regardless of how long they lived there and was any age at that time, then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

* In this case, police certificates are required for countries where you lived at any time after 16 years, even if the period of residence was 40 or more years ago (for example).

In Brazil, police certificates are issued only for applicants over the age of 18 (eighteen). Each applicant, 18 years old or more should present two Police Certificates: one from the State Police (Secretaria de Segurança Pública)- and another one from the Federal Police (Polícia Federal).

Secretaria de Segurança Pública

It is required the applicant to obtain a certificate from the “Polícia Técnico Científica”, “Instituto de Identificação” from each state in Brazil where the applicant has resided for 6 (six) months or longer for the last 5 (five) years. If you have resided in more than one state in Brazil, during this period, you will need one for each state. In Rio de Janeiro de Janeiro, please request the “Certidão de Vida Privada”.

Polícia Federal

It is required the applicant to obtain a certificate from the Federal Police. This certificate is valid for all Brazilian territory. You should access to request this document.   You should only refer to Departamento de Polícia Federal, Delopis – Delegacia de Ordem Social e Política” in case you are not able to get the certificate on-line.

Notes: Federal and state police certificates issued online are accepted.
The certificates issued by “Cartório” or “Fórum” are NOT, repeat, NOT acceptable, in any circumstances.

Persons who have been convicted or discharged of a crime must obtain a certified copy of each court record and any prison record, regardless of the fact that he or she may have subsequently benefited from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency, including processes in the U.S.

Court records should include:

  • Complete information regarding the circumstance surrounding the crime of which the applicant was convicted, and
  • The disposition of the case, including sentence or other penalty or fine imposed.

One (1) photo is required of all applicants regardless of age. Follow the photo specifications on the page about photo available at our website and at travel.state website.

Affidavit of Support (Form I-864I-864A or I-864 EZ as appropriate) from the petitioner/U.S. sponsor. In addition to this guidance, tips are available for completing the affidavit of support (tips for I-864, tips for I-864A, tips for I-864EZ).

Note:  Financial sponsors, joint sponsors, and applicants should be aware of the responsibilities arising from a sponsor signing an I-864 and the consequences of a sponsored immigrant’s acceptance of federal means-tested public benefits.  For more information visit:

All applicants applying for an immigrant visa, regardless of age, need to undergo a medical examination. Medical examinations performed in the U.S. will not be accepted, even if the local panel physician is authorized by DHS. Please access the medical examination page for further instructions.

Please check the fee list for the appropriate value that must be paid at the Consulate’s cashier.

Important information about the interview:

  • We cannot guarantee, before the document review by the Consul, that your visa will be approved and issued.  Only after your interview will the Consul make that decision. We do not encourage you to make any final travel arrangements, sell your properties or quit your job before your visa is issued.
  • This Office will do its best to process your visa as soon as possible, but you will most likely have to spend the entire morning in this Office until the Consul can make a final decision on your request. If any problem is detected, it is possible that you may have to return to this Office again.
  • If your case is approved your passport and visa will be delivered to you according to the choice you made when you scheduled your appointment.  For any questions related to the passport delivery please contact CSRA, the company  responsible for passport delivery.