In general, applicants should schedule two appointments – one at the Applicant Service Center (CASV) and another at the Consulate or Embassy.
Important: You may be able to obtain or renew a visa without having to appear at the Embassy or Consulate for an interview. Please read the interview waiver and visa renewal pages to determine if you need to appear in person. This may save you time and money.
- Go to the appointment website or call the Call Center using one of the local numbers.
- Create an account using your DS-160 confirmation code.
- Select the location where you want your passport and visa delivered.
- Pay the visa application fee (MRV fee). This can be done by credit card through our appointment website or by telephone. Applicants may also pay through a bank boleto at any bank in the boleto network. Note: If you pay by boleto, the payment must be confirmed before you can schedule an appointment.
- Schedule your appointment at the CASV, and your visa interview at the Consulate or Embassy (if necessary). Appointments can be made online, through the Call Center or via Skype.
Note: In Brasília, Rio de Janeiro and Recife, depending on the availability of appointments, it is possible to schedule same-day appointments at the CASV and Embassy/Consulate.
For visa applicants that are applying in Porto Alegre, only one appointment will be necessary at the Consulate. Applicants must present a photo to attend their visa appointment. For photo requirements, please visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/photos.html.
Even though you will have to go to the CASV first, you will be asked to schedule a date for the Consulate first. You don’t have to worry. It’s just a requirement from the appointment system.