How to Renew
- Complete the online DS-160 application form and pay the necessary fee;
- Schedule a time to drop off the required documents at the Applicant Service Center (ASC);
- Required documents include a valid passport, previous passport with current visa, DS-160 barcode page, and ASC confirmation page;
- Go in person, or send a representative to submit your documents;
- If approved, the new visa will most likely be ready within 10 business days;
- In rare cases, applicants may be required to submit more information or to come in for an interview. To avoid delaying your travel plans, start the process as early as possible.
- Brazilian or Argentine nationals whose most recent visa was issued in Brazil;
- Must have received a 10-year B1/B2 tourist visa that is still valid OR is within 12 months of expiration;
- Must have had 10 fingerprints captured in a prior visa application;
- Passport was not reported as lost or stolen;
- Must have no refusals since most recent visa issuance;
- Students who are renewing their F or M visa, provided the SEVIS number has not changed and the renewal is for the same school or program;
- Exchange Visitors who are renewing their J visa, provided the SEVIS number has not changed and the renewal is for the same school or program;
- Crew Visitors whose visa is still valid or is within 12 months of expiration.
- What happens if my visa expired over a year ago?
- You will need to follow the same steps as any other visa applicant, including appearing at an Embassy or Consulate for a new visa interview.
- Do I need to have a specific trip planned first?
- No! In fact, it is better to have your visa renewed before you need to travel. That way you will be ready to go the moment the opportunity arrives.